Register now for the By Your Side Walk in June 2017.
REGISTER NOW (links below) to take part in the walk or Snowdon Rocks at www.byyoursideappeal.org.
Sign up fee: Aged 12 and over, £20 per day / under 12s free. (the full registration fee will support people with cancer and their families).
Here’s a message from Mike Peters −internationally acclaimed musician, proud father and Welshman, cancer patient, fundraiser and campaigner − explaining more about how you can get involved and be part of something special whilst helping to make a difference for people affected by cancer in North Wales.
Many thanks, Kirsty and Patrick from the Awyr Las Support Team
When I launched the By Your Side cancer care campaign with our North Wales NHS Charity, Awyr Las, two years ago I was a man on a mission. I wanted to help others like me get the very best quality treatment and care right here in North Wales; I hoped to encourage people to keep active; and I aimed to celebrate all that is great about our NHS.
Over these past two years a lot has changed. We’ve had a lot of fun and done a lot of fundraising; through the campaign we’ve collectively raised over £250,000, making very real improvements to the support, treatment and care that people with cancer in North Wales receive. As you may know, we’ve also hade some tougher times. My wife, the person who’s always been by my side and been my carer, is now also undertaking treatment for cancer herself.
We both still know we have a lot to be thankful for and my mission remains the same. In fact, it’s become our mission. We want to help, we want to inspire hope, and we want to celebrate. And so in June, together with Jules (my wife), my guitar (my life), and whoever wants to join us, I’m going to go on a big walk. We’re going to walk across North Wales, and our trip is going to be longer than we’d first envisaged two years ago.
We’ll be raising money, we’ll be singing, we’ll be remembering friends who’ve gone and we’ll be having a good time. We’ll probably have blistered feet too! The By Your Side Walk is going to be memorable and we hope it will achieve a lot. Every day we’re going to focus on a different type of cancer, with the aim of raising awareness to assist early diagnosis and reduce risks where possible.
You can get involved in the By Your Side campaign in so many different ways:
- Take part in one of the sponsored walk stages of the walk and get sponsored
- Encourage your local school to take part in one of the By Your Side Walk stages. These specific stages will be announced in the spring.
- Request a fundraising pack (available from February) and organise your own fun activities: have a ‘Green Day’, organise a ‘By Your Side’ Walk for your family and friends, organise a cake bake (Rock cakes, anyone?!) or have a ‘Big Busk’ and sing my signature charity tune, ‘Love Hope Strength’
- Come along to one of the community events along the way – we’ll have more details about these in the spring – or request that we visit your workplace during the walk
- Join in Snowdon Rocks 2017 – the big finale of the Walk
The actual By Your Side Walk is over 130 miles in total. We’re also organising a small Beach to Beach walk on Saturday 3rd June from Abersoch to Porthdinllaen*.
The By Your Side Walk will take the following route:
- Thursday 15th June: Flint to Broughton
- Friday 16th June: Wrexham and surrounding area
- Saturday 17th June: Llangollen to Ruthin*
- Sunday 18th June: Ruthin to Prestatyn*
- Monday 19th June: Ysbyty Glan Clwyd to Mostyn
- Tuesday 20th June: Rhyl to Colwyn Bay
- Wednesday 21st June: Colwyn Bay to Conwy
- Thursday 22nd June: Conwy to Menai Bridge
- Friday 23rd June: Bangor to Caernarfon
- Saturday 24th June: Snowdon Rocks*
*Open to all that want to take part.
All walkers taking part on the 3rd, 17th, 18th or 24th will need to register in advance at www.byyoursideappeal.org.uk. There’ll be limited places so it’s worth registering early. Registration for these days is £20 per adult and children walk for free (the full registration fee will support people with cancer and their families).
We’ve always drawn so much hope and strength from people in our local community, from the NHS staff who care for us, from others who are facing a cancer diagnosis and of course from our friends and family. This is our chance to show how grateful we are. We’d love it if you too could join in and help make a real difference for people living with cancer in North Wales.
We’ll be publishing more details about the route, other ways of getting involved in the campaign and adding additional events taking placed along the Walk from February. We’ll also be sharing a short video about the walk on social media between Christmas and New Year. Please do look out for this, share it and help to make the By Your Side Walk truly unforgettable.
Lastly, we are hugely indebted to all the NHS staff and other patients, supporters and volunteers, sponsors and musicians who’ve been involved in Snowdon Rocks, other By Your Side events and initiatives, and in the walk planning process so far. This walk is for them, for you, for absolutely anyone who wants to help make a positive difference for people affected by cancer in North Wales.
REGISTER NOW (links below) or contact us on email@example.com or 01248 384395.
Love hope strength and blue skies ahead. Looking forward to being by your side in June,